Thursday 22 August 2013

Beginnings

I've talked about planning, creating emotional/believable characters, flashbacks and endings. But not beginnings.

FACT: There are many ways to begin a story.

FACT: You may not always start with the right one.

But start it.

This is easier said then done, trust me, I know. Even I struggle to follow my own advice, which is why I can give it. I understand the pain and torture us writers go through in just beginning a story. We think we have that brilliant opening, a place to introduce the main character(s), the perfect backdrop, yet we may get 1000 words in, or maybe just 500 and suddenly...

BUMP

Roadblock. Or Writer's Block.

No matter the reason we realise it isn't going to work, or that it's just plain wrong.

I plan to start another story soon, I shall let you know what it is about when I have it figured out, but I will follow my own words of advice and these words are:

Just write.

Two words. Two very simple, very basic words. JUST. WRITE. Sounds crazy right? "Of course I'm writing, it's just this one little bit." Then just make the next set of lines or paragraphs a load of rubbish, or shit, and keep shoveling the shit until you find a spot in the story you like and go from there. It is a first draft after all right? It's meant to be rubbish. It's meant to have the basic outline/bones of your story until you realise you know what you want.

So go for it. Grab that shovel and shovel that shit until you find the treasure that was waiting.

Happy Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment