Wednesday 16 April 2014

3 weeks left

I have pretty much, three weeks left of Uni before I'm out in the big wide world. Now, some of the people I've talked to already know where they want to go. But me? I'm 21! I don't know what I want to be doing (other than writing) for the rest of my life?

I mean, adults expect us, from the age of sixteen, or even fifteen, to know what we want to be doing for the rest of our lives. Some people do and some people have had that idea of life within their sights for years.

But for a lot of us, there's a variety of choices and some of them are easier said than done. I've considered teaching, then didn't really find it appealing. Considered publishing but the question is finding local ones that are hiring and will still be in business a few years from now. Considered internships, but they just don't appeal to me.

After that, *shrugs* there doesn't seem to be a whole lot on offer. At least, nothing that appeals and is easy to see. You know there's always those sites that say they're offering jobs, but you can't really see where. Or London. London has a lot of jobs. But I don't live in London.

Even so, I'm 21. How am I supposed to know if what I choose as a career now, is what I want to be doing in ten years time? Or even five? Or three?

And I'm going to have a degree to show to employers. "But where's your previous work history?" "Erm, I don't have any." "Well, we're not gonna hire you then." Rinse and repeat that conversation with every single employer ever. Seriously. Back in the day you could walk into a place that was hiring and bam, job. Now? No, you need experience to get a job. But how do you get  that experience? By getting a job, which, you can't get because you don't have the experience... <- This is the "logic" of employers. And people wonder why so many graduates don't have jobs.

Then there's old fashioned retail jobs. You know, HMV, Next, River Island, Waterstones... all of those kinds of places. But then you have people asking "But what about your degree? What are you going to do with that?"

It sounds nice having a degree, and yeah, a lot of people are going to be leaving Uni thinking "Lul wut?" with their degree. But hey, we were dedicated enough to go onto higher education, to get into debt and stick to it until we graduated. Give us that will ya?


Ugh. Life. Sucks.

My conclusion?

Don't grow up. That's a valid reasoning right?

No comments:

Post a Comment