Friday 13 September 2013

Back plotting away...

I'm currently at about 9,500 words into my second draft and I needed to add a reason to why Zach's German accent wasn't so strong as some of the others on the ship. And the first idea that came to mind: His parents emigrated to the states when the Third War started.

Note it does not say World War. Just Third War.

At this current moment I'm still working the basics through my mind of what this great Third War is and what happened, what the sides were and who was fighting. But it's slowly coming together. I think.

But this is one of the reasons I don't like making a note of every characters full background history. It's fun and interesting when something like this crops up. As soon as I'd finished writing it I'd stopped to look at it and I'd simply said, "Huh," with a smile on my face.

What's great about this is that I have some back story for Rhodes to add in as to why she can easily take command of a room when it isn't in Medical. My idea was already very basic and very minimal but now I can tie it into Zach's back story. Which then makes Rhodes a little older then I first thought. But that's fine by me.

So writing without the character's past can be interesting and fun. Especially during the second draft when everything unfolds itself in great wonder.

Happy Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment