Tuesday 2 July 2013

Excerpt

Okay, I know I said Tomorrow but that's a long way away. So, I promised you an excerpt for this piece I'm working on right? Well, here ya' go. Keep in mind that the purpose of this challenge is to create a very rough first draft. There may be areas that sound weird, off or out of sync but bare with it. THERE IS SWEARING. You have been warned:

    As they were nearing the end of the fourth lap McCallister and Hunter spotted O’Donnell waiting for them, dressed and ready to finish the run with them. As they passed she joined them and nodded. “How we feeling Sergeant?” she offered with a grin.
    McCallister glared at her. “Crap sir?”
    Hunter scoffed and shook her head, “You always feel crap in the mornings Cally!”
    “Fuck you Hunter!”
    “Careful Hunter,” O’Donnell warned. “I may pair you two up.”
    McCallister smirked at the smaller American who only rolled her eyes in response. They came to the end of their run and O’Donnell watched as everyone came to a panting stop, some bent at the waist with their hands on their knees. “Right guys! You’ve got twenty minutes rest before I want you in the gym. We’re gonna be doing a few hand to hand runs! Sokoloff! Take over for Zach!” A collection of “Yes Sir” and “Yes Ma’am” were shouted back in response and she nodded back.
    McCallister made his way directly towards the gym, catching a cup of water from the mess on his way. The Captain was on his heels. “You got your wakeup call then.”
    It wasn’t a question but the slight twinkle to O’Donnell’s eyes made him school his features. “Yes Sir. A little warning would be appreciated next time.”
    “Noted. Next time don’t mess with the shower heads.”
    A slight smirk was stifled quickly and McCallister eyed the Captain with one brow cocked. “I have no idea what you mean.”
    “And I’m not the Captain. You and Eliot will be paired up.”
    “Yes Sir.” 

Now, I will post more excerpts as I go to show you progress of my characters, my writing and the development of the plot. Well, sort of, but you'll get hints at the different characters in my story and through them some of the plot, or in this case, the silly childishness that they sometimes have to break up their time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment